Write the first paragraph of your article here.
We have a choice: Build or Buy.
Building is more risky and depends on finding the right people.
Buying is probably the most practical option for 2011.
Possible suppliers include:
- Steelheart Engineering in Kent, UK
- Gia Engineering in Nottingham, UK make light weight frames from aluminium tube
- Harris Performance in the UK
- Moriwaki in Japan
- Kalex in Germany
Though it should be noted that while these companies have great expertise in building racing frames for IC engines none of them have any experience with high powered electric bikes.
- Electric Motorsport in Oakland, CA, USA sells a completed or kit electric motorcycle that is Open Architecture (some construction/wiring information, service manuals, etc. included)
- See also: Bikelinks.com/frames
- Open-BLDC are developing an Open Source BrushLess DC Motor Controller.
- Open ReVolt is a modular Open Source PWM series-wound DC motor controller
- Tumanako is an Open Source AC vehicle control and battery management (charger) system
- Cafe Electric LLC make the Zilla series of motor controllers. However they are currently (summer 2010) in haitus pending a legal problem.
- Simon Rafferty of X-Eng in the UK has posted his design for an "$200 Build your own intelligent charger" on the DIY Electric Car Forums.
payoAccumulator (battery) + charge management
- Battery University excellent resource on battery technology and techniques for preserving battery life and charge.
- m Power UK has a good background to the technology.
- Fun with Lithium Blog, explains some of the challenges associated with Li-Ion powered motorcycles
see also: Potential sponsors:Battery brands page.
- European Batteries, Finland
- Li-ion BMS manufacturs Li-ion cells and controllers
- Altairnano make advanced lithium-ion batteries used in transportation
- Vision Technology Co., Ltd. part of Vision Group in Shenzhen, China does R+D and manufacture of Li-ion batteries.
- Cadex design and manufacture battery chargers and management technology. Publish the Battery University website (see above).
- Phoenix Silicon International, Taiwan
- Thunder Sky Energy, PRC
- B&K Encel PRC
- DBN Energy, Germany
Hossack Design is a light weight front suspension that might be idea for an electric bike
Bitubo make innovative, light weight racing dampers.
Wheels and Tyres
Revolution Cycle Manufacturing make carbon fiber wheels for bikes
See also: in-wheel motor